Here is my website

Here is my music video

Thursday 25 October 2018

1. Audience

The 'culturally sophisticated, 16-25 class AB demographic' mostly come from middle class backgrounds. They are mostly in education, and frequently socialize, as well as enjoy a diverse range of cultural activities. It is important to understand the wants of my target audience before creating my video, in order to maximise the appeal of my video.

My target audience mostly prefers dance music, and through their frequent use of social media such as Twitter, YouTube and Spotify.  In recent years, this group has contributed to the popularization of electronic dance music (EDM), with artists like Avicii, Marshmello and Martin Garrix all gaining popularity by embracing this genre. The artist that created the song I am using for my project (Give Me Your Love, Sigala) specializes in electronica  and dance music, and so the music will appeal to my target audience, both male and female.


Roughly a third of all EDM and dance listeners are within the 16-25 year old target age bracket, whilst 58% of listeners possess a form of higher education, placing the majority of listeners of this genre of music within my target audience. Therefore my music video must also be focused around themes and conventions found in a dance music video, such as high quality clothing lines, which are often featured in music dance videos to represent the target demographic.

Other conventions that I will feature is a suburban background. This is because the suburbs is where most of the members of my target audience live in suburbs or similar areas, so they will be able to relate to the scenery in my video.

Example of target audience member (anonymous male)
- Male, 17 years old
- Ocasionally listens to rap music; more fond of dance music
- Favourite artist is Drake
- Currently a full-time college student
- Plans to take a gap year before university
- Fond of sport (particularly tennis)
- Not an active social media user, although possesses friends also within target audience that regularly use social media (Instagram, Snapchat)
- Enjoys watching films, especially ones within the action genre


Moodboard

















Early feedback from audience member (anonymous male)
- Liked idea of masked identity; keeps audience guessing and thus interested in artist personality
- Would prefer to see more suburban settings rather than colourful sets
- Liked the idea of  homosexual representation within the planned music video, said it is rare for male artists to tackle this topic
- Likes the idea of a performance told by actions and movement rather than words (dance rather than lip-sync)

I will attempt to include a wider variety of suburban settings as a result of the feedback from a target audience member, as I acknowledge that taking on board the criticism from the audience will be integral in the success of my music video.



No comments:

Post a Comment