Here is my website

Here is my music video

Thursday 1 November 2018

7. My Music Video

Inspirations
Marshmello- Alone
Marshmello's 'Alone' inspired my choice to use largely suburban backgrounds in my music video. 'Alone' uses various suburban settings to great effectiveness, from a school to a suburban neighbourhood. One of 'Alone's' main themes is confidence, which is displayed by Marshmello over the course of the video's narrative. I will also use this theme in my video, albeit in the form of expressing homosexuality. Marshmello also pays homage in this video to fellow EDM artist deadmau5, when he feeds his pet mouse Joel at the start of the video (Joel being deadmau5's real name).

Sigala- Easy Love
Sigala's 'Easy Love' focuses on a dance performance over lip-sync, which gave me the idea to do the same for my music video. I felt expressing a message through actions rather than words would prove more effective to the audience. 'Easy Love' also uses a vibrant colour grade to contrast between the real world, and the fantasy world created by the video. I will use this technique to reflect my main character's inside struggle over his sexuality.

Planned content of video
My music video will be split into two separate types of shots: narrative and performance.

Narrative- My narrative will focus around telling the story of a male struggling to admit his homosexual attraction to another male. The narrative shots at the beginning of the video will be in greyscale, to reflect the misery of this character at the start. However, my artist, Nero, will act as a figment of the main character's mind, constantly guiding him and giving him confidence throughout the video. Nero will teach the main character over the course of the video to express his feeling through dance, and eventually give the main character to express his feeling to his love interest. It will be established that no one but the main character can see Nero. The encounter between my main character and his romantic interest will be left to be interpreted by the audience in a multitude of different ways; for example, instead of seeing my main character as pursuing a relationship, the audience could see him a pursuing a dance partner, or friend.

Performance- My performance will be dancing, which will be used to tell the main character's story, and also convey a message of confidence and acceptance of one's sexuality. Many shots involving performance will take place in a fantasy world, in the main character's mind. These shots will be in the studio, and will feature an array of different colours, using the studio lighting. The different colours will represent the emotion my character is feeling; for example, when he first meets his crush, there will be a montage of studio shots in a red background, to represent romantic feelings. Another example of this is when he is freestyling with Nero; he will feel happy, which will be represented by a yellow/pink background. In the final sequence of my video, my main character will take his love interest to the studio, which will be established as a real world setting. The main character will convince his crush to be his dance partner, and the narrative will be complete. During the final sequence, the video will occasionally cut to Nero DJing, with a series of high-adrenaline but also slightly comedic shots.

Documents

















Initial Shootboard- An intial plan for how the shooting phase will be carried out
Cast list- List of actors involved and their costumes


Location list- list of locations with reasoning for using them
Shoot schedule for music video

No comments:

Post a Comment